The Council has published a draft planning brief for St Mary’s Lodge at 73 Lordship Road – options include redeveloping just the lodge or developing a larger site which encompasses adjoining land currently housing a synagogue and car park.
The historic building was built around 1843 by well-known Victorian architect John Young as his family home. The father-of-nine also designed Fulham Road’s Cancer Hospital. In those days Stoke Newington was a village surrounded by fields and St Mary’s Lodge was a country house with a substantial garden.
In 1959 it became a home for unmarried mothers and remained so until the mid-1990s. It was later sold to a community organisation. The Georgian building was gutted by fire in 2005 – much of the roof is missing and many of the internal walls have collapsed.
It has been occupied by squatters and the grounds were a used-tyre tip. Now the Council hopes setting clear guidance for its future could bring about the derelict building’s revival.
Hackney Council has issued a draft planning brief to try to steer the potential use for the building, which it says: “makes a significant contribution to the character and appearance” of the area. Covenants attached to the building state it must be used for ‘the provision of Orthodox Jewish Educational Community Social or Residential Use.’
The draft planning brief, which is out for public consultation, states: “The Council considers that there is value in community or educational uses on the site.
“A one form entry primary school on the entire site may be appropriate. The Council may in exceptional circumstances consider a mixed-use scheme comprising a smaller quantum of community/educational use with a proportion of family-sized residential accommodation to the rear.”
To learn more about this historic building visit www.stmaryslodge.co.uk/history
Did you know?
In the 1840s Lordship Road had a toll gate at its junction with Manor Road to charge for ongoing passage to Seven Sisters.
According to the 1911 Census, Ralph Reynolds Garlic, a magistrate from India, lived in the house while visiting England for a few years. He returned to Bengal in 1912 but was shot dead in 1931 while presiding over a court hearing.
William Crabb was one of the occupants of St Mary’s Lodge – he lived there with his wife and children. One of his children, Hugh, went on to father a son, Lionel who won the George Cross for outstanding courage as a scuba diver during WWII. Lionel’s headless and handless body washed up on the coast near Portsmouth in 1957 – his final mission, at the height of the Cold War, had been to secretly inspect the hull of a new Russian Warship – evidently the Russians weren’t happy.
The Council has published a draft planning brief for St Mary’s Lodge
Posted 25th January 2018